Santa Specials include:
- Train journey from New Romney (TN28 8PL) to Hythe and return.
- A visit to see Santa in his Grotto.
- A quality, age related, gift for each child aged 1-15 yrs.
- Seasonal refreshments.
Journeys: New Romney Station (TN28 8PL) to Hythe Station.
Full steam ahead!
We are delighted to announce that our Santa Specials will be going ahead as scheduled with a few necessary changes.
The details of the changes are detailed below:
- To ensure you get a first class view of Santa arriving on his steam hauled sleigh please remain seated in your compartment until invited to alight the train.
- You will not be able to enter Santa's socially distanced zone but you will still be able to see and speak to him from the threshold. One of our elves will pass each child their Christmas gift via a table.
Bonus Bug rides at Hythe
- Locomotive no.4, The Bug, traditionally only pulling Santa, will this year specially be pulling a coach of secure compartments for families to ride the length of the platform with their social bubbles (subject to availability). Location: Platform 3.
- Our elves will not be able to take photos of you but you are welcome to take your own socially distanced photos and 'elfies. Professional photography will not be available.
Refreshments will now be takeaway
- Complimentary refreshments will still be available but on a takeaway only basis. Enter the beautifully festive Hythe Christmas Hall to collect your refreshments and return to your secure train compartment to enjoy.
Complimentary children's activity sheets
- Each child will receive an RH&DR activity sheet. Please bring your own pencils.
Wrap up warm - we always advise our passengers to wrap up warm during the winter months. This year Santa Special passengers will need to stay outside or remain in their allocated secure compartment as much as possible so please do dress for the weather. Bring a blanket for added comfort.
Visit in your social bubble - mixing of social bubbles will not be permitted during your visit.
A festive day out for the whole family! Travel by train to Santa’s grotto and enjoy some seasonal treats…
The Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway has been running its popular Santa Specials since 1981. Although a lot has changed in the past 39 years the core of the experience remains the same- steam trains and Santa Claus.
Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th December
Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th December
Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th December
Tuesday 22nd, Wednesday 23rd and Thursday 24th December
10:00 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 11:30
11:00 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 12:30.
12:00 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 1:30.
1:30 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 3:00
2:30 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 4:00
3:30 New Romney to Hythe. 55 minutes at Hythe. Depart Hythe at 5:00
**Santa Special deposits **
**Due to costs incurred by the RH&DR in the lead up to Santa Specials, £10 of the total booking price forms a non-refundable deposit. The £10 deposit is non-refundable should the RH&DR cancel the event due to COVID19 government guidelines and restrictions. This deposit forms part of the ticket price. See the full terms and conditions here
More information about our Heritage Carriage options can be found here: https://www.rhdr.org.uk/heritage-carriages/